There is an ongoing scientific debate about parabens and they are very controversial at the moment hence the rise of paraben free products on the market.
What is a Paraben?
Parabens are a class of chemicals used as preservatives in cosmetics. they are mainly used because of their bacterial and fungicidal properties and are particulary popular because of their high efficacy and low cost. They are produced by the esterification of para-hydroybenzoic acid with an appropriate alcohol.
Why use Parabens as a Presevative?
They can be found in many cosmetic products from shampoos and shaving gels to makeup and spray tan. Preservatives are what stops microbes from spoiling your cosmetics and causing disease. Essentially parabens are a cheap, synthetic and effective way of stopping your cosmetics becoming full of microbes that can cause disease.
Are these preservative dangerous?
A danish study showed that when paraben cream was applied to the backs of healthy male volunteers that the chemical could be measured in their blood after a matter of hours. Parabens are known to be absorbed, metabolised and excreted quite quicken so this would make sense.
"Preservatives are designed to kill cells. That is why they are effective. Unfortunately, that is also why they are potentially hazardous. They do not easily discriminate between good human cells and bad microbial cells but ultimately, the risk from using preservatives is significantly lower than that of using unpreserved cosmetics"
However, so far there has been no link to the possible carcinogenicity of parabens and their continuous use, hence the ongoing scientific debate.
So if this information which should be looked at as objectively as it can be has scared you, here are some Paraben Free brands which are available in the UK:
Paraben Free Brands Available in the UK
- Jane Carter Solution - A US company hoping to fill the need for natural hair products that work effectively on all hair types.
- Bee Mine - natural & organic products that would help increase hair growth and assist in rebounding from conditions like Alopecia.
- Afrocenchix - blending naturally sourced ingredients with know-how and a dash of creativity.
- Mixed Chicks - whether youre Black, white, or any other glorious mixture you can define, youll love the way these non-sticky, alcohol free and lightweight products really define your curls and lock in moisture at the same time.
- Phyto Masks including Phytojojoba
- Hand Made Naturals
- Its a Curl
- As I Am
- I love Afro
- AfroDeity Essential (coming soon!)
I have only tried a few of these brands and if I have made any mistakes with this list please do not hesitate to correct me. Please, Please, Please comment and add to this list it is by no means extensive. I hope to add more as I come by them.
Embrace Your Inner AfroDeity